1. Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982), 8.
2. The authenticity of the movie is attributable in part to the assistance of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, which provided the production company with period flies, reels, creels, and other equipment from the Museum’s collection. See “Museum Goes to Hollywood” in Museum News, The American Fly Fisher, vol. 17, no. 2 (summer 1991), 28.
3. The American Museum of Fly Fishing, a nonprofit organization, has been a strong supporter of sporting artists. The Museum trustees and staff have always recognized the importance sporting artists have played in the presentation, development, and enjoyment of the sport of angling.
4. Mikael Frodin, Classic Salmon Flies, History and Patterns (Gothenburg, Sweden: AB Nordbok, 1991), 61.
5. Fred W. Thomas, 23 May 2003, letter to the author.
6. Thom Arcadi, 11 September 2003, telephone interview with the author.